I just hired 3 new people to assist me with flowers and designs. This is my first time been a boss. I know you have been in business for 36 years, could you share with me what do you think makes a good boss?
I received this amazing list from Brenda de la Casa, a social media goddess. I thought this list is a perfect reminder, in how to be a good boss.
Hope this helps.
- 1. You get genuine pleasure from helping others do their best work; you measure your own success by theirs.
- 2. You don’t treat everyone the same. You know your people well enough to manage them as individuals.
- 3. You understand that your title gives you power, but intelligence and integrity give you influence, which is invaluable.
- 4. Your feedback is specific, sincere and constructive. People know where they stand with you.
- 5. More than a few people on your team have saved notes of praise you’ve sent them. Your words carry that much impact.
- 6. Your constructive response to mistakes and problems leads people to feel they can safely bring you bad news, when necessary.
- 7. You communicate your plans and goals clearly, and people understand their roles and responsibilities as members of your team.
- 8. You hire people smarter than you are and aren’t intimidated by their knowledge. You can look out your office door and see your replacement.
- 9. Your staff members feel ownership of ideas and initiatives, even those you originate, because you share power and control.
- 10. You know the occasions when only a top-down decision will do: times of crisis, high risk or high conflict. And your staff appreciates it.
- 11. You’re a continuous learner, always looking to improve your skills and knowledge.
- 12. Your employees know what you stand for and are proud to stand with you.d
Been a good boss is always a work in progress, I for one can relate to all of the above points.
Let me know what points describe your boss?