I know I have already said it, but I really love what I do.
This industry allows me to be creative, extraordinary, bold, and nurturing. However, at times when things start getting a bit hectic, it’s easy to get caught up in a whirlwind of emotions. An established planner should be able to bring back the calm into her client’s life and that of every vendor associated with the wedding. She or he should be able to establish order when everything seems to be crumbling apart especially on the wedding day.
It’s extremely important for planners to be centered and to provide a sense of reassurance to all. When one is on site and challenges present themselves, the best thing to do is to think about what your options are clearly. Allow yourself to focus on the solution not the problem. Most importantly remember that all the staff around you is as stressed as you are or more based on their responsibilities. A few tips that will allow you to plan and execute weddings in a manner that will benefit all and that will guarantee an outstanding event:
1. Remember to thank everyone for all they are doing on that day for you regardless of how small their function might be.
2. Never yell at vendors under any circumstances. Yelling matches will only make you seem incompetent and insecure.
3. Allow others to perform to the best of their abilities by identifying their strengths and weaknesses before establishing assignments.
4. Never underestimate the power of working as a team. Allow others to bring ideas to the table and always welcome collaboration.
5. Whatever you do, try not to panic. Maintain a steady and calm demeanor at all times even when everything is going wrong. Allow yourself to think through a state of calm. Everything usually works out when you approach challenges from a logical and practical point of view.
Allow yourself to be a leader by example not by trying to establish yourself as the all knowing. Focus on results and allow yourself to work from a centered place that allows everyone to shine in their respective areas.
How do you stay centered in a seemingly chaotic environment?
With a Happy Heart,
Kathy Romero is the Vice President and Global Wedding & Event Planner for Preston Bailey Designs. She shares her thoughts and advice on Preston’s Blog every Thursday.
(Photo Courtesy of Robert Evans)