Some advantages of working from home:
- Very little overhead. This is a big plus for folks who are just starting.
- If you have young children this can be a great way to spend more time with them.
- I have a lot of friends who create better in their living spaces at their own desired time, sometimes at very late hours.
Potential disadvantages of working from home:
- If you do not have a set schedule, you could end up working way too many hours and maybe neglecting your loved ones.
- If you are meeting clients, they might find it uncomfortable meeting at your home, and might not take you seriously.
- Space. Depending what you do you might not have enough space in your home.
In either scenario it is up to you to create a work space that feeds your creativity. We all have needs for creating a functional work space. These are mine:
- No clutter. I find it very difficult to work in a disorganized environment.
- Good lighting. Nothing beats working and having sunlight streaming into your space. It reminds me of working outdoors.
- Books. I like working with a selection of my favorite books around me, just in case I need some kind of visual stimulation.
- Scent. Either fresh scented flowers or jasmine scented candles.
What do you need around you to create the ideal working space? How do you feel working at home? At the end of day, are you in the habit of bringing work home?