You have been in business for over 35 years, what advice to you have for the new wedding pros, as they go to grow there business and thrive? Question from: The knot
Dear The Knot:
The problem that I ﬁnd with a few of the new wedding professionals is that they want immediate gratiﬁcation. Most of them want to run before they walk. You said it correctly; it took me good thirty-ﬁve years with lots and lots of mistakes, and without doubt considering myself, fortunate enough to be a part of this industry.
Let me share with you Ten Important lessons that I have learned that helped me to be around still:
1. Keep your momentum going: You are going to have good years and terrible years. The truly talented are the one’s that can handle the bad years and survive.
2. Reinvent your designs: In this fast growing industry, where everyone is copying each other; it is very easy to become irrelevant. You must and I mean must try to reinvent yourself or your designs at least once a year.
3. You must know a good sense of your worth: If you keep giving away deals, most likely you are not going to survive. I almost went under many times, for not charging enough.
4. Be careful of the dream killers: There is a lot of negative energy out there. Stay free of those friends, relatives, or co-workers that does not believe in your dreams.
5. Leave your Ego at the door: There is way too many “I am the best” out there. You don’t need to be the best; you just have to try your best.
6. Believe in your Dream: Always believe without a shadow of a doubt; that thing always work out. The moment you start questioning your ideas, that is the moment that you start failing.
7. Create Strong Vendor Network: Develop a strong bond with your coworkers and vendors. Without them you are nothing.
8. Never be afraid of making mistakes: Many of my biggest mistakes from the past, became one of my most valuable lessons years later.
9. Everyone has an opinion: Do not shy away from bad comments, some of my worse comments, give me fuel to try harder.
10. Last but not lease, believe in the power of God: God would never let you down. The only hurdle, when you stand in the way.
Oh yes, one more, Make sure you pay your taxes on time, Trust me if you don’t it would cost you much more. As it did to me, in the past.
Does any of these points are relevant to you as a professional? Please share your thoughts with us.