As a creative person, we must think of our time the way we think about money. We must constantly keep asking ourselves: Am I spending my time and energy properly by investing in this person or situation?
We all have that friend or family member who calls us more than once a day, and when we finally get off the phone we feel like we need a nap. But we also have those other friends and colleagues where, after a wonderful dialogue with him or her, we just feel like changing the world.
At times, I feel creatively depleted and I can easily trace it back to where my energy was sapped and abused by a dear crazy maker friend.
If you have a friend or family member that has these traits, they are most likely a crazy maker:
- They live for gossip.
- They are always late and are constantly destroying schedules.
- They love telling you a long, involved story about someone while you are trying to finish a deadline.
- They are expert blamers. Nothing is ever their fault
- They hate order. Only chaos serves their purpose.
- They expect special treatment, even when you do not have the time.
One should ask: why do we put up with the crazy makers in our lives? The answer is that we all have a bit of crazy in us that we constantly need to be vigilant not to indulge. The next time you catch yourself saying, “He or she is driving me crazy!” You have encountered one.
How do you deal with the crazy makers in your life?