FAQs: If you had to splurge on something special for your event, what would it be?
October 5, 2010
Last week, I blogged about skimping. This week, let’s talk about the complete opposite. What is the one thing you’d splurge on for your event?
Here’s what I thought one should splurge on (from most to least important):
- Entertainment. I wanted it to be memorable, so I booked the diva Gloria Gaynor to perform I Will Survive among other live entertainment.
- Lighting and projections. For the central focus of my event, I wanted to create the illusion of a projected “printing press” of my book.
- Food. Great food from the fantastic caterer Olivier Cheng.
- Location. I wanted an old rustic space like the Armory in New York to transform for this evening.
- Decor. Okay, here I could go less, because I was hoping to re-create pieces of past events for my attending clients to remember their own events. (Between you and me–it was cheaper to use existing props.)
- Flowers. Because it was my event, and I thought folks would be expecting tons of flowers, I decided to use very little.
Someone asked me this question during a magazine interview so now I’d like to ask you the same: When you are entertaining for the holidays, or giving your own party, what is the one thing you’d splurge on the most?