Entertaining as Part of My Life
July 3, 2014
Entertaining is a huge part of my family life. It’s no secret that my husband and I love to be surrounded by our family, good friends and good food all the time. As a matter of fact, we live for those moments.
We take pride in being hosts, in making everyone feel special and in truly having a great time while we are at it. With our busy schedules it is easy to make excuses because our time is limited. However, over the years we’ve realize that these moments are the ones that truly matter and help shape our best memories. Having said that, I’m grateful that regardless of our schedules we still host Sunday dinners EVERY week with both of our families and that mastering the art of entertaining has allowed us to continue to build on our friendships.
This week I’d love to share some of our tips:
1. If you are obsessive about cleanliness, don’t leave all of your chores for the day of your party. Start cleaning the most important areas early that week.
2. If you are trying out a new recipe, try making a mini version of it a few weeks prior. Experience has taught us that it always takes longer the first time you try to cook a new dish.
3. Decide on what your main entree is going to be and then choose the appetizers that will complement with your main dish. Establishing this main course will also help you with your wine and beverage selections.
4. Find something that you really love and make it the signature for all of your parties. For instance, I love a well-set table with beautiful cloth napkins and napkin rings. It’s my thing. So it’s no surprise my settings are always festive and thought out.
5. One very important thing to do is to define your party. Once your guests arrive, remind them why they are there by formally welcoming them and introducing those that don’t know each other. Lastly, a toast is an essential part of a start to our dinners. As of late, we’ve started making sure that we toast to the occasion, it reminds everyone of why they are there and truly makes everyone feel special.
Readers: Do you enjoy entertaining or do you find it a chore? When you entertain do you have a signature flare? Share with us some of your entertaining tips!
With a happy heart,
Kathy Romero is the Director of Wedding Planning For Preston Bailey Designs. She shares her thoughts and advice on Preston’s Blog every Thursday.
(Photo Courtesy Robert Evans)